Cooks are responsible for day-to-day food preparation and service. This requires operating a station before and during service to ensure quality standards are met. As a cook, you will help as required with daily specials, seasonal menus, food preparation and scheduled service periods.
The role of cook requires operating in a fast paced, stressful environment. Quick thinking and strong problem-solving abilities are important for success.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Prepares food to specifications before and during operational hours
- Maintains food service standards as directed by the executive chef including portion sizes, quality standards, departmental rules, and policies
- Cooks and presents food to proper specifications for a la carte restaurant service
- Will be required to use and train employees on use of culinary equipment including:
- Knives, ovens, slicers, warmers, steamers, grill, blenders, food processors etc. It is to be understood that such tools can be dangerous and require proper care and PPE
- Ensures food and other kitchen products are maintained and correctly stored according to health and safety standards
- Ensures freshness and quality of all menu items
- Keep workstations, sanitized, sufficiently stocked, clean, and organized
- Preforms opening duties, closing duties, prep work and other duties as required under direction of the executive chef
- Will be required to weekdays, evening, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Other duties as required
Qualifications and Requirements
- Must be able to perform essential kitchen functions and responsibilities satisfactorily
- Must hold (or be willing to be trained for) Safe food handling certificate and Smart Serve
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language orally, electronically, and in normal day to day business functions
- Ability to read, write and complete common business forms, correspondence, and procedures
- Basic computer skills including emails, online ordering, POS systems use, and Microsoft office applications
- Cooking in a busy restaurant can be physically demanding. The position can at times require long hours standing, repetitive motions, cooking, chopping etc. Hot and cold environments, lifting of items up to 50 lbs.
- The work environment is characteristic of many kitchens that can include smoke and heat from cooking process, airborne particles of potential allergens such as spices, wheat flour, nuts and seeds. The kitchen can at times be loud. You will be required to work in close proximity to other culinary staff.
- Required to spend long hours concentrating which will require attention to detail and high levels of accuracy; and
How to Apply
- Please send your cover letter and resume directly to: email@example.com
- In the subject line, please cite the job title
- We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
Blyth Brewing & Distilling Inc. is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. Blyth Brewing & Distilling Inc. is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process, in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). We will work with applicants requesting accommodations at any stage of the hiring process.