POMEGRANATE HONEYSUCKLE

  • April 27th, 2020
  • By Jeremy Moore

Summer is upon us! The birds are singing, the bees are doing bee things, the sun is finally shining, and our summer seasonal beer is here - Pomegranate Honeysuckle Fruit Sour. This crushable fruit-bomb is high in flavour, but low in hoppy bitterness. Coming in at 4% ABV, and only 10 Bitterness Units, the tart, juicy characteristics of the Honeysuckle and sharp, vibrant flavours of Pomegranate perfectly balance this kettle soured ale for you to imbibe.

Kettle souring, or fast souring, is a technique that allows us to rapidly sour unfermented wort using Lactobacillus in just a matter of hours or days, as opposed to a mixed fermentation which can take several weeks, months or even years. A kettle soured beer may not have the complexity or nuances of a mixed fermentation beer, but it allows for quicker turnaround times while still providing a satisfying sour character. This is achieved by allowing the Lactobacillus to consume sugars in the wort and, rather than converting them to alcohol, it converts them to lactic acid. This lowers the wort’s pH, making it sour. Since the wort is soured and then boiled to kill off the Lactobacillus, you need not worry about infecting any other equipment or contaminating other batches, unlike mixed fermentation.

WATER - At the Cowbell Farm, all of our beers are brewed with fresh water from an on-site well, passed through sophisticated carbon and UV filters to ensure the water is clean and pure. We keep the water as simple as possible, only making slight mineral adjustments in the mash to ensure a balanced finished beer.

MALTS – The malt profile of this kettle sour has been kept simple. 95% of the malt used is 2-row Canadian Barley Malt, which has a neutral flavour making it ideal for use in beers where other ingredients make up the majority of the desired flavours; in this case Pomegranate and Honeysuckle. The other 5% of the malt profile is split between Crystal Medium, which in this small amount adds subtle deep golden and red hues to your beer, whilst imparting deeper caramel notes, and Dextrin, which helps improve mouthfeel and head retention.

HOPS – Hallertau Blanc is the lone hop used in this fruit forward ale. This hop was chosen for its complementary characteristics; fruity, with wine-like qualities of gooseberry and grass, similar to that of Sauvignon Blanc. It also features a complex aroma profile with notes of cassis and elderflower in addition to grapes, grapefruit and lemongrass.

FRUIT ADDITIONS – Pomegranate Concentrate & Blue Honeysuckle (also known as Haskap) juice from Quebec.

BACTERIA/YEAST – Escarpment Labs Lactobacillus Blend 2.0, a blend of their main Lactobacillus plantarum strain with a strain of Lactobacillus rhamnosus. This blend enhances fruit flavours in the finished beer, with tasters noting red fruit and guava aromas and is used to “Kettle Sour.”

Escarpment Labs California Ale Yeast is as versatile of a yeast as you will find. Clean fermentation characteristics, it is the perfect workhorse of a yeast to use in a low pH environment.

We hope you enjoy this delicious seasonal release.

Cheers!